Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fresh Baked Bread

I'm so excited to tell you all about this - I've learned how to bake homemade bread that doesn't suck! :)




I've tried to bake bread before and it never turned out well. This might have something to do with me knowing nothing about yeast or kneading, etc. It might also be because I now have a kitchenaid which can do all the mixing for me (thank-you, grandma, for being so thoughtful!).


But anyway, yesterday was my first successful try at baking bread. I had to make more today because my family went through the first loaf so quickly! I tried wheat bread today instead of the white bread from yesterday and it turned out SO WELL!!

Previously when I bought bread at the store, I only ever bought Sara Lee because it was my favorite tasting bread. All the other brands were too crumbly or had a wierd taste/texture. Well this homemade bread recipe tastes EXACTLY like Sara Lee 100% wheat bread. I'm SO stoked! I hate buying bread at the store because I spend a fortune every month. We eat bread for breakfast sandwiches, lunch sandwiches, grilled cheese, toast, buttered with dinner, etc, so you can imagine the amount we go through. My family is a bread family. But now I'm more than happy to have them eat it because I know what's gone into it and it costs a fraction of what it costs me to buy it. (Not to mention that every time I cook bread it gives me the satisfaction of something I've done turning out well! My own vanity coming through.)


The recipe if you all want to try it is on Everydayfoodstorage.net, by new favorite thing on earth. It's called EZ bread dough. You can use it for bread, pizza crust, rolls, etc. Try it and tell me what you think!!

2 comments:

Dee Oviatt said...

How wonderful for you! I'm glad your family liked the bread so well. When my Mom used to bake bread sometimes we would tear open a hot loaf and eat it with butter and honey ... none better.

My grandmother used to bake bread nearly every day of her life. Like you described, her family was a "bread family." My grandfather used to enjoy a bowl of "bread and milk" with sugar sprinkled on top. This worked with good homemade bread, but not with store bought bread (too soggy).

Thanks for the good memories!

Lindsey said...

Dustin was in heaven when the warm loaf came out of the oven and I had made homemade honey butter to go along with it. His mom made bread all the time when he was younger.

I took a small loaf up to Grandma but I know it's probably not as good as her recipe!! :)

THE BECK FILES