Friday, November 21, 2008

Not-so-Much-Baby update

So in my last post I said that we were hoping for a baby update soon because we had a doctor's appointment on Monday. Well, it turned out that on Monday morning I got what I thought was food poisoning and Dustin thought was the flu that I picked up from Ben and Em's visit for Autumn's birthday. (By the way, Bubby, I hope you're feeling better from your strep!) Anyway, we went in for our appointment and Dr. Zollinger checked me out, ruled it "food poisoning" for lack of anything better, and sent me to Short Stay Therapy at the hospital for a saline IV to replenish my fluids and for some anti-nausea meds.

While we were there they tried to get a fetal heartbeat just to be sure things were alright, but this baby is a little snot! They caught a snippet of heartbeat with the microphone and then the baby moved, and kept moving. They pushed harder into my stomach to find the baby, and it landed a kick directly on the microphone! Obnoxious little fetus. It's going to be just like its parents.

We were there for about two hours with the IV and at one point when I tried to stand up I got really queasy and had stomach cramps. The nurse called Dr. Zollinger and he had me admitted overnight for observation. Have I mentioned how much I hate hospitals? My nurses were really great, though, and took good care of us. Poor Dustin stayed the whole night on one of those little pull-out couches and got about two hours of sleep. In the morning they stuck me and did a bunch of tests and couldn't find anything wrong so Dr. Zollinger had me released and just said they'd have to do a test on my gallbladder after the baby was born. It was an interesting prenatal checkup! :)

Everything's fine now, though. No more throwing up or stomach cramps today so I think whatever it was is gone, thank-goodness, and the baby is just fine. When they did a gallbladder ultrasound on me the tech checked the baby because they couldn't really get a good heartbeat the night before. The beat was good and the baby was good, so no worries!!

No comments:

THE BECK FILES